EIU Reference Librarians are available all hours the library is open and provide professional help to library users as they navigate the complex resources in the University Library.
Reference librarians can...
- provide advice on research techniques or strategies
- create guides to library resources by broad subject area or focused topics
- teach classes in research skills, often referred to as "information literacy"
- answer questions in person, by email, phone, and chat
- perform research consultations by appointment
- collaborate with faculty to design effective assignments
- give presentations on specific resources to help faculty and students get the most out of our collections
Our reference collection contains books on all subjects.
Reference books, such as encyclopedias, dictionaries, bibliographies, directories, thesauri, almanacs and statistical compendia are those materials that are most frequently consulted as sources of information or as guides to other resources.
Some high-use reference books are kept at the Reference Desk. You need your panthercard to use these materials.
The library purchases access rights to over 100 online databases which provide you with information in all subjects.
To search or browse any resource, click on Magazine & Journal Articles on the library homepage or Journals on the menu bar.
There are 44 computers available in the Reference room for use in accessing the library databases and any resources linked from the library webpages including the EIU Online Catalog.
You may print an unlimited amount from these computers free of charge.
All library resources are available from any computer with an internet connection.
Reference Librarians and staff:
- Steve Brantley, Faculty and Head of Reference Services, email@example.com, phone 217-581-7542
- David Bell, Faculty, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 217-581-7547
- Ann Brownson, Faculty, email@example.com, phone 217-581-6099
- Janice Derr, Faculty, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 217-581-5090
- Kirstin Duffin, Faculty, email@example.com, phone 217-581-7550
- Pamela Ferrell, Faculty, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 217-581-7548
- Sarah Johnson, Faculty, sljohnson2, phone 217-581-7538
- Deborah Fennema, Library Operations Associate, email@example.com, phone 217-581-7540
- Randy McCammon, Library Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 217-581-6073
- Sally Van der Graaff, Senior Library Specialist, email@example.com, phone 217-581-6911